Several people have asked for directions for this
simple and sassy summer skirt-SSSS.
I have shown 3 variations. Following the basic directions you can make
any number of variations.
All of these are Moda fabrics designed by my good friend Lila Tueller.
You can catch her blog by clicking here. She has some great patterns too.
My friend Barb who has sewn skirts from Lila's fabrics call her skirts
her "happy skirts" because the fabrics are so fun.
1. Measure your hips and add 4 inches. This will make it so the skirt
is wide enough to get on and to sit down in.
2. Measure from your waist to where you want the body of the skirt to end.
I made mine 20 inches long.
3. Add 1 1/2 inches to this last measurement to allow for the
casing for the elastic and any trimming of the serger.
You should now have a length of 21 1/2 (longer or shorter if desired )
and a width of your hips plus 4 inches.
4. Cut a piece of fabric measuring this, i.e. 21 1/2 x 39
5. Sew up one side seam. Press and turn right sides out.
6. Serge the top and bottom to finish the raw edges.
7. Turn down the casing for the elastic on the top edge - I used
8. Sew the casing, leaving room to insert the elastic.
9. Measure the elastic. Most people are wearing it down a little
on their hips. You can always adjust the elastic.
10. Insert the elastic using a large bobby pin or safety pin.
11. Sew the ends of the elastic together.
12. Try the skirt on before closing the hole so that you can adjust
the elastic if needed.
13. Sew the casing closed.
14. I usually stitch across the elastic at the seam and half way
around the skirt now so the elastic won't roll.
15. Decide how many ruffles you want on your skirt and how deep they will be.
I chose 4 inch ruffles.
16. Measure your ruffles and cut. You will want them to be twice
what the width of the skirt is, i.e. 39 inches times 2 is 78 inches, by the 4
inches in width. So cut one or two ruffles 78 inches x 4 inches.
17. Serge the top and bottom of the ruffles and sew the ends together, right
18. Sew a gathering stitch around the top of each ruffle. Mark it in fourths.
Mark your skirt in fourths.
Pull up the gathering stitch and pin it on top of the skirt, matching the pins
that mark it into fourths.
19. Sew the ruffle onto your skirt.
20. Add a flower pin if you want.
You have a fun new summer skirt. These took me about an hour to make.